Congratulations! You have a new grant award and now you are ready to take full advantage of the Voluntary Incentive Program (VIP) offered by UGA’s Graduate School! Here are the steps to follow to receive the funding to be used for additional Ph.D. Graduate Assistantship(s)
- Once the award notice has been received from the agency and the PI has been awarded the grant, notification will be sent to the PI from Sponsored Program Administration via email.
- Your departmental financial representative completes a “RIAS/RIAT Charge to Account Form” to pay the tuition for each student supported by the grant. The link for the form is http://busfin.uga.edu/bursar/forms_rias.pdf. Please note that this form is submitted directly to Student Accounts (please do not submit this form to the Graduate School). NOTE: To recover the assistantship funds in the amount of 1.96 times the base tuition rate the student’s tuition must be charged on the grant.
- Beginning FY 2019, your department financial representative will need to request a new department # in UGA Financial Management System for VIP tuition funds. For tracking purposes, all VIP department numbers should begin with your department numerical number and then RAS or RAT (example: example: 27001RAS – for students whose tuition is paid by the grant but the student is also funded on an assistantship by the grant and. 27001RAT – for students support by a training grant.).
- Request a new RIAS or RIAT department number
- Transfer previous awarded funds to new chart string
- JV all charges onto the new department chart string
- For picking up the incentive funds, units will send the following information to the University of Georgia Budget Division @ email@example.com:
- Requested amount and the breakdown of who the tuition was for and the semester in which it was paid
- The corresponding restricted chart string that was charged
- The chart string the unit would like the funds placed into. This needs to be a tuition chart string (fund 10500)
- The Budget Office will then verify the information and initiate the transfer
- Once funding has been transferred to the new department number and a student has been designated to receive the RIAS assistantship, your department budget representative processes payroll for the student and requests a RIAS exemption through the Graduate School. Instructions to request a RIAS exemption are located at http://research.uga.edu/docs/spguide/vip-program/Waiver-Request-System.pdf. (VIP funding may only be used to cover the cost of an assistantship for additional Ph.D. student(s) and should be used within one year of receipt. Ex: if funds are received in the August 2019, you have until July 2020 to spend.)
For additional questions, please contact Tonia Austin-Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org or 706-542-6269.